Wednesday, June 29, 2005

US Newspaper Articles on Yasukuni

Recently The New York Times and The USA Today took up the Yasukuni problem in Japan one after another. The article in the former [1] describes the following argument of Yasukuni's war museum: "America forced Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor as a way of shaking off the Depression, and the US economy made a complete recovery once the Americans entered the war." Then the author of the article critically writes, "Yasukuni's view of history is one that few Asians or Americans would accept."

Further, the author refers to USA's noticeable silence on Yasukuni and the verdict on the Class A war criminals (in 1978 Yasukuni secretly enshrined 14 Class A war criminals convicted by an international tribunal after World War II, as is pointed out by the article of The USA Today). He guesses the reason for this silence as follows: "China's rise alarms America just as much as did the rise of Communism in the 1940's. So better a strong, remilitarized Japan, no matter what the Japanese say about Yasukuni or war criminals."

The article in The USA Today [2] similarly introduces the following descriptions at the Yasukuni Web site: "The attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 and the invasions of China and Southeast Asia were made to maintain the independence and peace of the nation and for the prosperity of all Asia. The 14 [A Class] war criminals are martyrs who were unjustly tried as war criminals by a sham-like tribunal of allied forces."

The author of the article in The USA Today puts a rhetorical question, "So why does Koizumi visit Yasukuni despite the furor [of China, South Korea and other Asian countries]?" The answer is given by the words of Michael Cucek of the consultancy Okamoto Associates: "Koizumi is currying favor with right-wing Japanese politicians whose support he needs to implement his policies, particularly the privatization of Japan's postal system."

I suspect rather that the right-wing thought is deeply rooted in the mind of Koizumi and many politicians of Liberal and Democratic Party. The Japanese should learn all the above facts conveyed in the articles in the newspapers of USA to make good choice in the next vote for the Diet members.

  1. N. Onishi, "A war shrine, for a Japan seeking a not guilty verdict," New York Times (June 22, 2005).
  2. P. Wiseman, "Tokyo shrine a focus of fury around Asia," USA Today (June 23, 2005).

Comments (reproduced from the blog site where this post originally appeared)

Michael Cucek 06/30/2005
Ted -
I would like to think that I understand the Prime Minister's thinking--but he remains a cipher, a black box. He acts not according to a fixed set of rules but more from a loose set of constantly reconfigured concepts. Ask his inner circle what his philosophy of governance is and you hear a range of contradictory opinions reflecting the prejudices of the speakers rather than the core beliefs of the man. When Paul Wiseman asked me what the PM's motives could be for continuing to go to Yasukuni, I gave an answer that ignores the PM's feelings. It was the only intellectually honest route.

Ted 06/30/2005
Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for your kind comment. Sure, Koizumi-san is a black box. However, I cannot at least judge him to be the man who sincerely repents Japan's aggressive wars in the past.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:17 PM

    Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook
    group? There's a lot of folks that I think would
    really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms/Mr Anonymous,
      I don't mind your sharing of my blog with your facebook group.
      Regards,
      Tatsuo

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog
    platform are you using for this website? I'm getting fed up of
    Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform.

    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms/Mr Anonymous,
    The platform I use is Blogger. Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was developed by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003. The blogs are hosted by Google and generally accessed from a subdomain of blogspot.com.
    Regards,
    Tatsuo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:36 PM

    It's awesome for me to have a web page, which is beneficial in support of my knowledge.
    thanks admin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms/Mr Anonymous,
      You're welcome.
      Regards,
      Tatsuo

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Hello mates, its great paragraph concerning cultureand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I think the admin of this web site is truly working hard for his website,
    for the reason that here every data is quality based stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:06 PM

    I do believe all the ideas you've introduced for your post.

    They're very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices.
    Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms./Mr. Anonymous,
      Thanks for your kind comment. As for your wish to lengthen my posts, however, I cannot accept it. The reason is that the title of this blog means short essays as explained at the top of the site. Namely, briefness is a feature of the posts here.
      Regards,
      Tatsuo

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it
    seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to
    your blog when you could be giving us something informative
    to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms./Mr. Anonymous,
      Thanks for your many messages to praise my blog. I'm a retired, old scientist and now busy in making a digital collection of my scientific papers. So, I don't write blog posts often these days.
      Thanking you again,
      Regards,
      Tatsuo

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:35 AM

    Your way of describing all in this paragraph is truly fastidious, every one can effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Hi, I do believe this is an excellent web site.
    I stumbledupon it ;) I will return yet again since I book-marked it.

    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

    ReplyDelete